Anthropologie Inspired Dresser Redo

 

I love this party link!  I think it is especially genius because if you have a piece that you don’t want to totally refinish, you might just be able to amp it up with a stencil.  but so you know,  Kate from Twenty-Six to Life who created this piece did sand and stain the dresser, and I love the way it turned out, check out her post:


When I saw this dresser (forever ago), I knew Anthropologie was just daring someone to DIY something similar. So of course I did tried.

 

I found this dresser on craigslist for just $15. While it’s not a match for shape, I decided I liked it anyway. Besides, for $15 the price was right considering I have no idea where it will actually go.


For those of you who just scroll to the after, here it is!

 


I will be the first to admit that it didn’t turn out quite like I had anticipated.  It looks very different from my “inspiration piece” and that’s largely due to the fact that I used what I already had.  I wasn’t really willing to go buy a lighter stain, or black paint, or create or buy different stencils.  I had the dark stain, white paint, and hammer spray paint for the knobs already.  So I used them.  I hope none of you mind the differences, but if you do, here’s a 
consolation prize.

And for those of you that like a little tutorial, here’s what I did:

1. Of course, like with anything, I sanded. And sanded and sanded and sanded. I hate sanding, but it’s a necessary evil. It got rid of that awful orangey hue.

2. Stain. This time I only used one coat. This was were the changes from the anthropologie dresser started. Originally, I meant to get a lighter stain so I could do black numbers, but when the time came I was feeling lazy and cheap wasn’t thinking and used a dark stain. C’est la vie. I just switched it up and went with white numbers.

3. Spray. The formerly brassy knobs got new life with hammer black spray paint.  It’s the same stuff I used on those white dressers I did before.

 
 
4. Upgrade. The drawer bottoms were a mess so I ditched the old ones and had new ones cut at Home Depot. I also added the wheels to the legs, I think they add even more character.

5. Stencil. I used cheapo stencils centered on each drawer and filled them in with white paint I already had.

In the end, this before and after cost less than $25. $15 for the dresser, $7 for new drawer bottoms from Home Depot, $1.50 for the stencils, $0.50 for a foam brush.

I know it’s not perfect. My OCD is kicking in looking at these photos and that “3”, but I guess it’s all part of the learning process. Maybe in the future I’ll rough it up a little and it’ll become less noticeable. For $25, I’m going to try to enjoy my new piece of furniture and try not to stress about any imperfections.

I think imperfections can add to the piece.  
Also who could beat $25.00 
for a whole new dresser!
Great Job!
Remodelaholic is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Please see our full disclosure here.

Similar Posts

5 Comments

  1. >I really love how the dresser turned out! You did awesome with the things that you had. I actually like it better than the original one! 🙂

  2. >I love this, I just bought two dressers from Ikea for my sons room… for new dressers @ $29 I couldnt pass them up. I was shopping criagslist faithfully but everything I saw that I liked on craigsist was always gone by the time I got to it 🙁 . But I was itching for something to do in his room! So now I have the dressers and thanks to your tutorial I know what to do with them.. ill be subscribing! Thanx!!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.