Ever wanted to make creme brulee but worried that you don’t have the equipment necessary to pull it off correctly? Worry no more! This easy creme brulee recipe allows you to make the custard dessert using only your oven and stove top!
Easy Creme Brulee
Recipe Type: Dessert
- 1 cup + 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup + 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 6 eggs yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- In a large saucepan, boil 2-3 quarts of water for a water bath (this will not be added to the recipe).
- In another saucepan, combine 1 cup heavy whipping cream and 1/3 cup sugar.
- Slowly bring to just boiling, mixing only occasionally (be careful not to over stir.
- Add 1 cup heavy whipping cream, vanilla, and pinch of salt. Heat just a little.
- Remove from heat.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg yolks.
- Temper the eggs. (Add a small amount of the hot cream mixture to the eggs and stir. Repeat once, then add the rest of the cream mixture to the eggs. This prevents the hot cream from cooking the eggs.)
- Place a dish towel in a glass casserole dish (this will help the ramekins not to slide all around), place the ramekins on top of the towel, and fill each ramekin with cream mixture.
- Place the casserole dish on the oven shelf and fill it with the boiling water to 2/3 the height of the ramekins.
- Bake 30 minutes.
- Place ramekins on a wire rack to cool. Once cool, place in fridge for at least a few hours if not overnight.
- To make brulee, place a skillet over medium heat and add 1/4 cup sugar. Don’t do anything else. It takes a few minutes, but the sugar will begin to melt.
- Allow sugar to caramelize. It will go from clear to a light caramel color.
- Remove from heat and carefully pour it over the top of your cooled cremes.
- Let sit for a minute or two, and serve!