We wanted to show you how we framed our large bathroom mirror. Now that we showed you the raised up vanity, it’s finally time for the “how we gave our mirror a custom look”. We had big plans with the mirror that we were looking at earlier in this post, but with the time constraints of the move we had to make some modifications.
Tutorial: Adding a frame to a plain bathroom mirror
So far with our park house master bathroom we’ve shown you the quick before post where we made a few upgrades to live, including ripping out the carpet and painting the floor. After living without flooring for a few years it was time to tile the floor, then we updated the existing vanity by adding 6 inches in height.
For the framed large bathroom mirror here is a list of the tools, materials and total cost of the project.
List of Tools used
- Miter Saw
- Caulking Gun
List of Materials and Cost
- (1) 1x6x8’ MDF board – $8
- (2) 1x4x8’ MDF boards – $12
- (7’) 4-1/4 in. x 1/2 in. MDF Crown Molding – $13 (we used scrap molding we removed from our kitchen cabinets)
- (1) Liquid Nails Mirror Adhesive – $6
- Grand Total $219 (mostly the cost was the lighting!)
Here is the bathroom before we did anything at all.
Don’t you just love the little helpers. The first picture is just after we raised the vanity. I removed the light and the the mirror to get started. The munchkins are so fascinated with playing in the water.
With the mirror on the floor, kitty and Etta had a little fun. It’s always fun to have kitty around in pictures. She loves to be part of the blog.
Kitty did get a little scared seeing herself in the mirror and decided to run and hide behind it.
We have noticed lately that Etta really loves the mirror. We find her in front of them occasionally, just watching herself make faces and giggling.
Cassity decided that she wanted the mirror to hang above the vanity. Before it was resting on the vanity, and you couldn’t see any of the wall. That little 1 inch gap made a big difference to me in the final look!
We used the same hardware that it was hanging on before. One problem that we had was trying to glue the frame on the glass flush where the hardware was. Because it stuck out, we had to notch out the frame where the hardware was to allow the frame to sit flush against the mirror.
I used my multi-tool for this and it worked perfectly. Here is the notch in the frame. We planned it out so the frame sat level on the notch to help hold it in place.
We used mirror construction adhesive, to glue the frame to the mirror, on the bottom and the two sides. The frame overhung the mirror on either side by about 2 inches. We also nailed the frame through the over hanging portion to make sure it stayed in place.
Here is the bottom in place and the sides going up. You can see below that we hung the frame over the mirror edge about 1 1/2”. This helped to hide the edge of the mirror, without adding more trim on the edges.
Now that the sides and bottom were in place. We were able to set the top frame in place. With the top frame, we screwed it in place near the top and where the new lights would go. By screwing it and not gluing it in place, this allowed us to still get to the original electrical box if needed in the future.
With the top frame in place, it was time to add the crown trim.
Crown molding is like icing on the cake. It makes everything look so much better.
Here is a picture with the new lights in place. You can see here, that with the lights hanging down below the frame, it its like adding twice the amount of light, because of the reflection in the mirror. This was so much better than the light fixture that was there before.
And now the final large bathroom mirror framed, painted and put back together!
Find more posts like this here.
And check out these other ideas for updating your bathroom: