This spicy side is perfect to serve at your next backyard barbecue! Your guests will love the kick in this green chili mac & cheese.
Green Chili Mac & Cheese
- 2 cups macaroni, regular or whole wheat
- 1 tsp. salt, divided
- 2 cups whole milk
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 6 ounces shredded Colby or Colby jack cheese, about 1 ½ cups
- 4 ounces shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese, about 1 cup
- 1 ½ teaspoons Colman’s Dry Mustard Powder
- 4 ounces canned diced roasted green chilies, hot or mild
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook the macaroni for about 2 minutes less than the cooking time according to the pasta box instructions. Drain the pasta. Rinse with cold water and drain thoroughly.
- In a saucepan melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour until smooth but still pale. Cook, stirring often, for about a minute. Whisk in the Colman’s Dry Mustard then add the milk to the flour mixture, a little at a time, whisking constantly to prevent lumps. Stir until the sauce bubbles and thickens.
- Combine the drained macaroni with the sauce, green chilies, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and all but 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Pour into a buttered baking dish or casserole, top with remaining cheese, and bake for 20 minutes or until bubbly and brown in spots. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.