Here’s a classic that is the perfect dessert for your Thanksgiving feast: the beautiful and traditional lemon meringue pie!
Lemon Meringue Pie
Lemon Meringue Pie
Recipe Type: Dessert
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup + 1 1/3 cup + 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3/4 tsp grated lemon rind
- 5 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tsp + 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 tsp cream of tartar
- Combine egg yolks, 1/4 cup sugar, lemon juice, and grated lemon rind in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the cornstarch, flour, salt, and 1 1/3 cup sugar from below. Once combined, add the water.
- Place the sugar mixture over medium-high heat, cooking and stirring til thick, bubbly, and translucent.
- Temper* the egg mixture with a small spoonful of the hot sugar mixture, stir, and repeat once.
- Once the eggs have been tempered, add them to the saucepan while whisking rapidly.
- Bring mixture to a boil once more, then remove from heat and add butter and 1 tsp vanilla.
- Taste and add more lemon rind or lemon extract if needed.
- Pour into a cooked pie crust and refrigerate for several hours til set.
- If you don’t want to make meringue, then you can serve at this point with whipped cream.
- To make meringue, in a medium bowl, beat egg whites, cream of tartar, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla til stiff peaks form.
- Once they are stiff, add 3/4 cup sugar.
- Spoon onto prepared pie and bake at 350 degrees F for about 12-13 minutes, til lightly browned. (If desired you can add a couple of teaspoons of apple jelly to the egg white mixture to prevent the meringue weeping and preserve the shape.)
- Allow to cool and serve.
*Tempering the eggs heats the eggs slowly so that they don’t cook when you add it to the hot sugar mixture.
Remodelaholic is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Please see our full disclosure here.