Put a new, healthy spin on a classic Southern favorite with this Resurrection Salad. Traditionally, “killed lettuce” is made with a hot dressing made with melted bacon grease to help wilt the leaves. This fresh recipe replaces the fatty dressing with one made from plums and apricots so there is no lack of flavor!
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 plums, pitted and chopped
- 4 apricots, pitted and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 heads romaine lettuce
- In a small saucepan, heat onions, oil, vinegar, salt and black pepper over medium heat. Bring to a simmer; add the chopped fruit and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce the heat; simmer until fruit is soft, about 10 minutes.
- Divide lettuce among eight plates; pour hot dressing on top.