About 2 years ago my friend Lew gave me this rocker. THANK YOU!
It has been a perfect rocker for babies. I used it everyday that I used to watch Natalie, to rock her while she had her bottle. (I miss that, but she’s a grown up toddler now anyway, and probably wouldn’t want to cuddle as much…)
It looked really nice, was in perfect condition and had previously been recovered. But, I have been a little anxious that Etta’s room is looking a little too masculine. Not that it is manly really but looks a little more on the color side of a baby boy, with all the blues and greens.
I painted the walls and ceiling about a week ago. The walls in the nursery are a tanish neutral, just like the chair was. I thought that if I recovered the chair, I could make it pop a little more, and throw in an extra pattern while I was at it. I was looking for floral, but found a houndstooth instead that was robin egg blue and white! So cute.
Here is what I did:
I removed the existing pads.
I discovered, that when they had been recovered before, they had added some foam. I kept it for sure! But I did sew the two pieces together really loosely by hand.
I did this to gather any loose fabric and smooth it, also to make a more substantial edge, which would allow me to cover it the way I had in mind.
You can see below, that by sewing them together, it gathered the extra fabric in and made a nice clean solid cushion.
In order to create the pattern for the new cover, I simply laid the cushion on the fabric and cut around the shape (being sure to leave a good enough seam allowance approx 5/8″).
I also wanted piping around the whole cushion. So, I found some old cording from recovering my sofa a few years ago. I cut some of the extra fabric into 1.5″ inch strips. I measured the length around the edges I needed the piping for and then sewed the cording into the fabric strips.
For the edge, again I measured the length needed and cut a 2.5″ inch strip.
At this point I was ready to start the construction process. First, lay out the cushion back, then the cording on the edges you need it, then the edge. Make sure that the seam allowance for all three is about equal and pin together. Then just sew as closely as you can to the cording.
Leave at least one seam open on the bottom of the new cushion cover, preferably on the back side, if it is evident what side is front or back)
(hint- in order for the cording to wrap nicely, you may have to cut some slits, perpendicular with the cord itself, in the seam allowance, just don’t cut past the original seam you have sewn, click on the picture and look close if your not sure what I am talking about)
Then add the opposite side, finished side in! Once finished sewing flip it out and fit over cushion. At this point you could add a zipper into the bottom of the back cushion, and back of the seat cushion, but I chose to just hand sew it shut, which means it is not removable but oh well! (I didn’t want to have to buy a zipper- call me too frugal, or forgetful either would fit!)
Repeat basic steps for bottom cushion.
To the seat back, I also added 2 button tufts so that I could place ties in those spots on the back. I did it by hand with really thick upholstery thread.
Cassity Kmetzsch started Remodelaholic after graduating from Utah State University with a degree in Interior Design. Remodelaholic is the place to share her love for knocking out walls, and building everything back up again to not only add function but beauty to her home. Together with her husband Justin, they have remodeled 6 homes and are working on a seventh. She is a mother of four amazing girls. Making a house a home is her favorite hobby.