This smoky dish is the ultimate hot sauce lover’s macaroni and cheese! If you aren’t a fan of smoky cheddar, use a plain sharp cheddar or gouda. Delicious!
Find this and other great spicy recipes in Rachel Rappaport’s new cookbook, Cooking with Frank’s RedHot Cayenne Pepper Sauce: Delicious Recipes That Bring the Heat.
Smoky Hot Bacon Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 1 cup milk, at room temperature
- 2 cups shredded smoked Cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons Frank’s® RedHot® Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce
- 4 slices thick cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 pound cooked macaroni
- 1⁄3 cup panko crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Sauté the onion and garlic until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and heat through, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- In a medium pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the flour along with salt and pepper and whisk until smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Add the milk and whisk together until slightly thickened, about 5–10 minutes.
- Whisk in the Cheddar and Frank’s® RedHot® Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce.
- Add the tomato mixture, bacon, and macaroni; stir to evenly distribute.
- Pour into a lightly oiled 2-quart baking dish. Top with a sprinkle of panko.
- Bake covered about 15 minutes, then uncover and cook until hot and bubbly, about 10–15 additional minutes. Serve immediately.