Nothing says summer like a good old-fashioned BBQ, but it can get tricky to grill for your vegetarian guests. Try this juicy veggie burger at your next backyard bash!
- 1 ½ cups cooked brown rice
- 8 oz pkg baby Bella mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 cup matchstick carrots
- 2 medium yellow squash, thinly sliced
- 2 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 egg
- 6 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 4-6 whole wheat sandwich thins, toasted
- 1 cup alfalfa sprouts
- 2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Cook rice ahead of time. Set aside.
- Combine mushrooms, carrots, squash, zucchini and onion in pan.
- Add water to cover; bring to a boil over med-high heat; boil 8 – 10 min, or til tender. Drain. *Place in the refrigerator and allow cooling. Squeeze dry.
- Combine rice, breadcrumbs, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and vegetable mixture.
- Add egg, stirring to combine.
- Shape into 4 – 6 patties.
- Cover and chill for at least 1 hour and up to 2 days.
- Grill patties over med heat for 5 – 6 minutes per side, or until patties are heated through.
- Top each with 1 slice cheese.
- Spread mayo over sandwich thin.
- Top with sprouts, tomatoes, veggie patty, and top half of sandwich thin.