Quick Install of Concrete Countertops! Kitchen Remodel!

Quick Install of Concrete Countertops!

I had to share what Cassie had to say about the kitchen in her email:

Hi there!
I really wanted to send you my kitchen remodel for a couple reasons:

1) We are renting and didn’t want to spend a ton of money, which I think can account for a lot of people out there and…

2) We have done several remodels before but did some things different this time and wanted to share our new, fast and super cheap idea with the world.

We have done a handful of concrete countertops in the past, and wanted the same look without the two weeks of process and the steep price tag. (People think concrete is cheaper, but it is actually the same as granite because of the labor in the long run) So, my husband decided to go right over the existing countertop with Level Quick concrete.  I’ll tell you what, it turned out amazing, and I had instant countertops that didn’t have to cure for two weeks.

Check out her awesome BIG KITCHEN REVEAL!!

Before:

Pink cabinets, pink tiled countertops. This picture is blurry, but you get it.

So we painted the cabinets with  glossy white and added some stainless hardware.

Then we did the countertops:

My husband made forms around the existing countertops.

We sanded the tile so the concrete would have something to grab on to.

Then he poured concrete over the top of them

The concrete leveled itself out.

Removed the forms, and my husband smoothed it out.

Now, we have done several concrete countertops before, and have removed the old countertop and poured a whole new one. This was an experiment to pour concrete over the top of existing countertops. And I must say, it has worked out so far! There are a couple cracks, but ALL concrete cracks. Gives it character. Just wait for it to be done curing, then we put a coat of concrete sealer over the top and heres what they look like now:

Super gorgeous. And it was cheap, and fast-about $200 for a new countertop!! Then we had the ugly backsplash, remember?

So here it is all put together…

I am thinking a rug in here too….any suggestions?

New appliances- Craigslist $2500

New faucet- Ebay $100

We decided not to stain this countertop, we just left the concrete as is, and it came out with a beautiful color and finish.

So there is my big reveal! Hope you enjoyed it.  Keep checking in, there is a lot of adding and tweeking to be done!

This project was contributed by one of our fabulous readers! We love to share your projects with this great blogging community. So, if you have projects from kitchen renovation ideas to small bathroom remodels, overhauled and repurposed furniture, spray paint updates you name it please send it in! Thanks for reading Remodelaholic!

If you enjoyed this kitchen remodel check out some of these as well:

Comments

1. Jill says

Question? Can you do this over a laminate countertop? And how did you get the edges of the countertop done? Did your husband make the frame a little larger and the concrete poured over the edge ? just curious. thank you for posting! I may have to do this!

• Jennifer says

I too would like to know this.. I assume sanding the laminate is a must. I am considering doing this also to mine. But with the concrete sealer I would like to put a tinge of color and maybe a slight amount of metallic fleck just to give it definition. It’s that possible

• Cass says

Hi Jennifer! This was a guest post, so if you’ll click over to the original blog (linked at the top of the post) then they can answer your questions. Thanks!

2. Heather says

Hi there! They look amazing!!! I am curious about laminate and the edges as Jill asked also. Cannot wait to show my husband!

Hey Heather – (and Jill) This was a guest feature, and they may not know you commented, but if you click over to the link at the top of the article, you will find the author’s blog and I am sure they would love to help you out!

Cassity

3. Nik D says

This is just crazy good! I am in love. My husband may finally be on board to DIY for our laminate counters. Thank you!!

4. Elizabeth says

Did anyone ever get answers to these questions? I have a few as well, which I posted on the site this came from. But I didn’t see that anyone else had asked about the edges. If anyone has tried this and has some wise words, please let me know!!

Sorry that I can’t answer these questions, the link to the author’s blog is at the top of the page… I hope they will answer, you might have to try emailing them directly.

5. Julia says

I really love the look you have in this kitchen. How long ago was this pour done and do you have any large cracks? Also, can you tell me where you found the backsplash………from the pics it goes so well with the natural concrete.

Thanks,
    Julia

6. virginia rodriguez says

I don’t have a website but I like what u did with the counter top n im trying to do the same my question is what type of concrete u used and how did u do the sides?. Did u leave any inches to get the concrete there or did u do it manually?. I hope u can help me im a do it yourselfer and wpuld like spme ideas since I’m trying to remodel my kitchen. Thanks I love what you did.

7. Julie says

I just want to say that you are a phenominal renter!!! I love it and appreciate your pictures. I’m probably going to try it. Working on another room now.

8. Midori says

Hi, I’m not seeing the link for the author’s blog at the top; could you perhaps post it in the Comments? Thanks!

Ahh, when we transferred over to WordPress all of the formatting got messed up and I have about 2,000 posts to fix and no time to do it! I updated the feature image so you should be able to see the link now! Thanks for asking!

Hi, I do think this is an excellent site. I stumbledupon it
    ;) I am going to return once again since I book-marked it.

Money and freedom is the greatest way to change,
    may you be rich and continue to guide others.

10. Jillian Cafarchio says

Hey,
    This looks fantastic, my boyfriend and I are going to try this. Could you tell me more about how he dealt with the sink? I can see you guys didn’t take out the sink, how did you control the concrete around the sink?

Thanks!!

Jillian

Kerry, that is a great question. Since this post has been around a while you might need to go to their link at the top of the page and ask them on their site. Thanks for the comment!

11. Nikki H says

This is gorgeous! And I really like that you removed the compactor and had a perfect place for the trash can.

I would love more details on this project. How to frame it out would be my biggest, “how the heck would I do that?!”

Haha. Super cool idea though, I’m glad you guys featured it!

XO

13. Kris says

I absolutely loved this remodel!!!! What an inspiration!!! But I’m not sure how he did the sides of the countertop.. and what did you use for the backsplash!!! absolutely gorgeous!!!!

The only part of this remodel I’m a little stumped on is the concrete fronts on the countertop. Did you leave a gap within the forms to give you the front when you poured? I don’t see a gap within the pics. Also, when you added the tile over tile…did you remove the tile or go tile over tile? Just curious. I have been formulating plans to remodel our 70’s kitchen for awhile now, similar to what you have captured, but over ole’ laminate. Clever use of self-leveling. I’d be interested to see how well the corners have held up.

I love this! I have similar tile on my cabinets and this would be perfect! Thanks for sharing. Could you let me know how they have held up. My husbands concerns, other than me finding another project for him, is if there’s a problem with it cracking ff easily. Thanks, and again bravo!

16. Karen says

It looks like the backsplash was tiled over and the exsisting tile wasn’t ripped out first. Is there a link that shows how you did that?

17. sally says

Just curious do u think you can do an acid stain on the concrete? My laminate countertop has a curved back splash, do u think it is still possible to used your method with self level concrete? BTW, I love your backsplash! Is it slate?