Hello friends! Brynne, here, from The Gathered Home with another roundup of fabulous free vintage printables and inspiration!
I know the title promises at least 25 different butterfly and moth printables, but I have to confess – I've chosen pairs of images for many of the items on this list (two is better than one, right?) and if you click through to visit the sources, you'll likely find tons more gorgeous and free printable images! Making “25+” more like “several hundred!”
There were just too many to include them all, so I had to select my favorites. Consider them the “X” on a pirate's map – if you dig here, you'll find buried treasure!
Now, it's the part of the post where I jump in and share a few inspiring ideas for using these awesome free printables in your own home! (Just scroll down to see all the images, and see more ideas for using art prints here.)
1. Blow up an image or two and frame as a focal point in the room.
Check out my tutorial for enlarging vintage images!
via My Domaine
2. Go for the classic schoolhouse chart look with this DIY tutorial:
3. Mix smaller vintage butterfly/moth prints with other natural history themed objects to create a stunning gallery wall.
4. No butterflies were harmed in this project – get the “butterflies behind glass” look with this “vegan” tutorial!
via Shift Ctrl Art
Tips for Printing:
- While you can print these vintage images at home if you have a color printer, you can also have them printed at either a local printing place or an online printing shop – the price will be very affordable for smaller standard sizes like 8 x 10″, 5 x 7″ or 8.5 x 11″.
- If you're looking for a larger print, you can find great deals on poster sizes by doing a little searching online. Or you can have it printed in black and white as an engineering print (somewhere like Staples) for just a few dollars! (And see ideas for decorating with engineering prints here.)
Vintage Printable Butterflies and Moths
To download and print, click on each link to visit the original source for each image.
4. The Great Atlas Moth via Bibliodyssey
6. Butterflies with Passionfruit Flower via Bibliodyssey
8. Tableau d'histoire naturelle via Bibliodyssey
11. Butterfly Wings via The Graphics Fairy
13. The Atlas Moth via Biodiversity Heritage Library
16. Moths and Silkworms via The Graphics Fairy
18. The Giant Peacock Moth via Biodiversity Heritage Library
19. Caterpillar and Flowers via Biodiversity Heritage Library
21. Illustrations of Natural History – Butterfly via Biodiversity Heritage Library
22. Saturnia Moth via Biodiversity Heritage Library
23. Butterfly Chart via Biodiversity Heritage Library
24. Anatomy of a Butterfly's Wing via Biodiversity Heritage Library
25. Butterfly Hunting Gear via Biodiversity Heritage Library
I hope you've enjoyed these gorgeously detailed vintage butterfly and moth images as much as I enjoyed pulling them together! Isn't nature just incredible?