Empanadas are fried meat pies, and this basic recipe will make your mouth water.
Blendtec Cheese and Meat Empanadas
- 2 1⁄4 c popcorn kernels
- 3 1⁄4 c water
- 1 lb chorizo or longaniza (Mexican sausage)
- 1 lb queso fresco, mozzarella, or Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 c vegetable oil for frying
- Add popcorn kernels to Kitchen Mill, and grind into flour.
- In large bowl, mix flour and water until consistency is uniform (about 10 minutes).The masa is ready when mixture doesn’t stick to your hands.
- Make 20 golf-sized balls and set aside.
- Cover top and inside bottom of tortilla press with piece of plastic.
- Place one masa ball in middle of press, and close press to form tortilla with diameter of 4½–5 inches.
- Pull back top of plastic from tortilla.
- Place spoonful of sausage and slice of cheese on top of tortilla.
- Fold tortilla in half, and seal contents by pressing edges together with fingers.
- Peel empanada away from plastic, and fry in oil at 450°F until empanada turns light brown.
We absolutely LOVE our Blendtec! Thanks to Blendtec for submitting this and other fabulous recipes, found below!