Here’s a delicious, low-calorie breakfast option for you and your family. Fill this breakfast quesadilla with egg whites and fresh vegetables for the perfect way to start your day.
- 1 cup diced assorted vegetables (the more colors the better!)
- ½ cup egg whites
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 whole-wheat, low-sodium lavash thin bread
- 3 tablespoons shredded fat-free mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fat-free sour cream
- ¼ cup pico de gallo (no salt added) or no-salt-added salsa (like Enrico’s brand)
- In a medium nonstick skillet, sauté vegetables until they begin to brown. Add in egg whites and scramble. Season with black pepper.
- On a warm griddle or flat-top grill, place lavash thin bread and let the side facing the heat get hot.
- Turn the bread over on the griddle or grill and sprinkle the cheese on the top side.
- On half of the top side, spread the vegetable scramble and cilantro.
- When the cheese begins to melt, fold the thin bread in half to cover the vegetables. Press firmly using a tool like a large firm spatula or the bottom of a pan. Flip onto the other side and grill for about 2 minutes, then press.
- Remove from heat. Cut quesadilla into four pieces and serve two pieces per person with fat-free sour cream and salsa on the side.
Special thanks to Pritikin for sharing this delightful breakfast dish!