This is an awesome breakfast splurge, perfect for Mom on Mother’s Day. Change directions and make it indulgent by using thick slices of French bread and add whipped cream.
Cream Cheese-Stuffed French Toast
- 1/2 cup cream cheese spread, softened
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 8 slices whole grain bread
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs[br][br]
- [b]Tropical Compote:[/b]
- 1 1/2 cups frozen pineapple chunks, thawed
- Juice of 1 orange
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut, toasted
- Stir together cream cheese and orange rind until well blended.
- Spread mixture evenly over 4 slices bread.
- Top with remaining 4 slices bread, pressing gently around the edges to seal.
- Heat a large griddle or large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat.
- Whisk together milk, sugar, vanilla and eggs in a shallow dish until well blended.
- Dip 2 sandwiches in egg mixture, soaking 30 seconds on each side.
- Add sandwiches to skillet; cook 2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
- Repeat procedure with remaining 2 sandwiches.
- Combine pineapple chunks, orange juice and brown sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes or until syrupy. Stir in coconut.
- Serve Tropical Compote over French toast.
Special thanks to eMeals for submitting this and other great recipes, inspired by characters from the film Mom’s Night Out! Check them out below!