Here at Remodelaholic we love all things home decor and DIY, but we also love RECIPES. While we will continue to share our latest and greatest remodeling projects we want to start sharing some really yummy recipes once a week. Enjoy the recipes and know that we are still Remodelaholics.
The ultimate busy weeknight meal has got to be pizza. We order it so much that it is basically a weekly tradition. Now we have tried many homemade pizza recipes, but the only recipe that compares to restaurant quality is this one pan deep dish pizza.
We kept the recipe simple by using pre-made refrigerated pizza dough. To make the dough flaky I rolled out the dough, smothered it with butter, then folded it up and refrigerated it while I chopped the toppings.
For the marinara sauce, I used the sauce recipe from this skillet lasagna recipe. I didn’t bother cooking it in a saucepan, I just mixed all the ingredients up in a bowl and poured it over the pizza. The seasoning blended while it cooked, so no needed to dirty another pot.
The key to keeping the crust from getting soggy is to layer the crust with mozzarella cheese before adding the sauce and toppings. I looked for toppings the whole family would enjoy. I used a combination or ground beef and Italian sausage. It was like adding little meatballs to the pizza.
The meat doesn’t need to be cooked before adding it to the pizza. The pizza cooks long enough for the meat to be cooked thoroughly in the oven. When the pizza is all done, it may look a little watery when you remove it from the oven. Don’t worry it will thicken up as it cools. Once the sauce sets, slice it up and enjoy! This is definitely a fork and knife kind of pizza, but it is so worth it.
One Skillet Deep Dish Pizza
- 2 - Containers Refrigerated Pizza Dough
- ¼ Corn Meal
- 1 - stick butter or margarine softened
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. crushed red peppers
- 1 tsp. garlic salt
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- ½ tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 lb. fresh mozzarella cheese sliced
- ¼ lb. Italian sausage spicy or sweet
- ¼ lb. ground beef
- ½ medium onion sliced
- Red bell pepper sliced
- Yellow bell pepper sliced
- 1 cup Italian blend shredded cheese
- 1) Sprinkle cornmeal on table top and open pizza dough. Knead dough together until cornmeal is mixed into dough and pizza dough forms one large ball.
- 2) Roll out dough. Smother with softened butter, and then roll dough into a cylinder. Fold the dough into three parts, one end over the other. Press edges together and form a ball. Place dough in lightly covered bowl and put in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- 3) Combine crushed tomatoes and sauce seasonings in a medium bowl. Set sauce aside until ready to use.
- 4) Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 5) Roll out dough into a circle about 15 inch in diameter. Lay dough over a 12 inch cast iron skillet. Cover the bottom of the skillet with the dough and work it up the edges.
- 6) Layer sliced mozzarella cheese across the dough.
- 7) Cover cheese with sauce.
- 8) Mix together sausage and ground beef. Break quarter size pieces of meat and scatter over pizza. The meat will cook in the oven.
- 9) Top with onions and bell pepper.
- 10) Roll up the edges of the dough to form pizza crust. Then brush crust with melted butter.
- 11) Bake for 45 minutes. When done let set for 10 minutes.