Is there an occasion where chili isn’t appropriate? If there is please don’t tell me. I love chili, especially with cornbread. It is a delicious and hearty comfort food that contains just about all the food groups.
Now, I have seen some crazy stuff added to chili before. If you’ve ever been to a chili cook off you know what I am talking about. Somehow people can add all kinds of different ingredients to their chili and it turns out delicious.
Don’t worry, I didn’t add anything crazy to make the chili delicious. I kept the ingredients to stuff you likely have in your pantry at all times. I mean, you can’t have chili whenever you want if you have to make a special trip the store.
When I first started making chili from scratch, I was surprised by the amount of chili powder in the recipe. However, the chili powder isn’t what makes the chili spicy. The chili powder gives the chili flavor. The cayenne pepper is what makes the chili spicy.
This chili is mild. If you like a spicier chili, add more cayenne pepper. This will give you some added kick but will keep the chili flavor.
One Pan Chili with Cornbread
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minces
- 2 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 – 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 can drained black beans
- 1 cup corn
- ¼ cup chili powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp cumin
- ½ cup cheddar cheese
- 1 cup corn meal
- 1 cup flour
- ½ salt
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 egg
- 2 tbs. honey optional
- 1) In your skillet on high heat brown the ground beef. When cooked, drain any grease.
- 2) Place ground beef and skillet back on stove and add onion and garlic. Cook until fragrant, about one minute then add chili powder, salt, black pepper, cumin, and cayenne pepper.
- 3) Add corn and black beans, mixing until warm.
- 4) Pour crushed tomatoes and chicken broth over meat. Stir until chili begins to simmer.
- 5) Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- 6) In a large bowl combine all the ingredients for cornbread. Pour cornbread mixture over the chili. Using a mixing spoon, spread corn bread batter over the batter. Add honey to make sweet cornbread, or leave it out for regular southern cornbread. If you like a lot of cornbread with your chili double to cornbread ingredients.
- 7) Place skillet in oven and cook for 15 minutes. Let cool for about 10 minutes before serving.
- 8) Top with sour cream, diced jalapeno, and shredded cheese.