Here at Remodelaholic we love all things home decor and DIY, but we also love RECIPES. While we will continue to share our latest and greatest remodeling projects we want to start sharing some really yummy recipes once a week. Enjoy the recipes and know that we are still Remodelaholics.
Valentine’s Day is just around the corner and I’ve got the perfect recipe for you. Obviously, this lovely pastry can be eaten any time of year and for any occasion, but February 14th pretty much requires these delicious treats. Who could possibly resist these mini heart shaped blackberry pies? Not me, that’s for sure!
This is one of those treats that will make people wonder where your creativity stems from. Cookie cutters make dreams happen! Pies can be difficult to pull off, but these little guys are a snap. And they’re adorable! This particular recipe calls for blackberries, you can find the recipe for the filling here, but you could substitute many different fruits if you’d like. Apples, raspberries, blueberries…there are a lot of potential variations on this one.
The simply crimped crust is a perfect base for the surge of fruity goodness it contains. Add a quick little drizzle topping and you’ve created a surprisingly complex taste for such basic ingredients. These mini pies are so versatile, they can be made to serve at the end of a romantic, candlelit dinner or to pack in your kid’s lunch bags.
It’s plain to see that these little hearts are made with love. The way to a man’s heart is his stomach, right? So make your way to his heart with heart shaped pies! Ok, that was cheesy, but you get the picture. Give these adorable pies to your significant other, your kids, your co-workers or your mailman. Just be warned that you might gain a secret admirer.
Get the recipe for the blackberry filling here.
Mini Heart Shaped Black Berry Pies
- 2 cups flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ cup cold butter sliced
- 6 tbsp. cold water
- Blackberry pie filling cut in half
- Egg wash 1egg + 1 tbsp. water
- Large heart shaped cookie cutter
- Icing optional
- 1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2) Mix dry ingredients for crust. Cut in cold butter and water. Knead dough until it forms a ball, then refrigerate 1 hour until ready to use.
- 3) Roll out pie crust to ¼ inch thick. Cut crust into heart shapes, you will need an even number of hearts.
- 4) Fill half the hearts with a spoonful of blackberry filling. You should be able to close the hearts easily without the filling spilling out. If it does remove some of the filling.
- 5) Using a brush apply egg wash to rim of the heart will the filling. Top each heart with another to close the pie. Crimp the edges with a fork.
- 6) Brush the pies some more with egg wash, then bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- 7) Let the pie cool completely. Drizzle with icing before serving.
More delicious recipes to try: