This incredible, vegan Stuffed Acorn Squash uses healthy and delicious ingredients, making it a great nutritious option for your Thanksgiving table this year!
Stuffed Acorn Squash
Stuffed Acorn Squash
Recipe Type: Appetizer
- 4 acorn squash, ideally 1-2 lbs each, halved lengthwise and seeds removed
- 5 teaspoons or more salt to taste
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 cups wild rice
- 3 oz grapeseed oil
- 1 teaspoons fresh ground pepper
- 1 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 cups thinly sliced shiitake mushrooms (stems removed)
- 4 cups cleaned and rough chopped kale
- 2 Tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 2 Tablespoons chiffonade (cut like ribbons) mint leaves
- Preheat the oven to 475 degrees F.
- In fine meshed strainer, place rice and run under cold water until clean.
- In medium sized pot, add rice and 2 tsp of salt, plus 4 cups of cold water.
- Cover the pot with a lid and bring to a boil on high heat.
- Once boiling, reduce heat until rice is simmering.
- Simmer for 30-45 minutes or until the rice has absorbed the water and is cooked.
- On baking sheet, place squash flesh side up and rub with 1 oz grapeseed oil, 2 tsp of salt, and fresh ground pepper.
- Place in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until tender. Use a fork to test for tenderness.
- In a separate sauté pan, heat 1 oz grapeseed oil on medium-high heat. Add shiitake mushrooms, garlic, 1/2 tsp of salt, and sauté until mushrooms are cooked but not browned.
- Remove from heat and place in large bowl.
- In the same sauté pan used for the mushrooms, heat 1 oz of grapeseed oil on medium-high heat. Add kale and 1/2 tsp of salt, and cook quickly using tongs or a spatula. Keep the kale moving so it doesn’t brown.
- Once wilted, remove and place in bowl with shiitake mushrooms.
- Add cooked wild rice and sesame seeds and mix together.
- Taste rice mixture and season accordingly.
- Fill the cooked squash halves with the rice mixture. Garnish with mint.
Rice can be cooked up to two days in advance.
Thanks to South Fork & Spoon for submitting this delicious and healthy recipe!