A while ago I came across a LOVELY recipe for a healthier version of Texas sheet cake. Since we lived in Texas for four years and our girls are real life Texans, we though it was appropriate to make some Texas sheet cake (I’ve never made one before, such a shame, so much life wasted..) It was divine! So then, in REAL uh “healthy” fashion I’ve made it like 5 times in several different versions since. I love the recipe.
So today I am sharing a little version with you that I made for Easter. Yeah wow, that was a while ago, but okay that is how I roll!
Texas Sheet Cake with Nutella Glaze Frosting Recipe
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup Greek yogurt (low fat or full fat)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar (I’ve tried less, 1 1/4 cup would work too!)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
2. In a microwavable bowl heat the butter, water and cocoa about 2-2 1/2 minutes till it boils. Add vanilla and whisk til it is smooth and set aside.
2. In another medium bowl, whisk the egg and bit and add the yogurt and applesauce , stir til combined. Set aside.
3. In yet another large mixing bowl!!! Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Now pour in the the warm chocolate mixture; stir to combine completely. Now, add the yogurt mixture and stir again til combined.!
4. Pour batter into one ungreased 13×18 baking sheet (jelly roll pan) or two 13×9 baking sheets. I have also tried lining mine with parchment cooking paper so I could remove the whole cake and place cut pieces on a platter.
5. Bake for 15-20 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
6. Glaze the cake right away while it is still hot. Pour on glaze spread carefully out to the edges with a spatula.
7. Let frosted cake cool completely, cover, and store in refrigerator.
The Nutella Glaze Frosting Recipe:
- 1/2 cup butter (melted)
- 1 Cup Nutella
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1/4 cup hot milk
Keep cake refrigerated.
It is SO good! I am telling you your family will love you for it! And be sure to share with the neighbors!
Be sure to check out these other great Nutella recipes!
|Pumpkin Spice Whoopie Pies Recipe|
Cassity Kmetzsch started Remodelaholic after graduating from Utah State University with a degree in Interior Design. Remodelaholic is the place to share her love for knocking out walls, and building everything back up again to not only add function but beauty to her home. Together with her husband Justin, they have remodeled 6 homes and are working on a seventh. She is a mother of four amazing girls. Making a house a home is her favorite hobby.