We decided to put up a backer board, which I may or may not do in the rest of the living room too, cause I am so sick of the heavy orange peel, or whatever it is called on my walls.
By adding the backer board, the panel is smooth, and makes it look more professional, and not just like we nailed molding to a plaster wall (which is what we did
I had to show this funny picture of Etta doing her best impression of Vanna White… (even though she doesn’t know who that is)
I somehow lost the image of the construction adhesive that we put under the stairs before nailing! SO keep that in mind, glue and screw… or nail in this case.
We LOVE our Bostitch framing nailer. We bought it to nail the big huge beams when we removed the wall in our Asheville house way before we blogged, but that baby is worth every penny! I almost cried when I thought it was stolen(from the thief in the night.. jerk!), but luckily it wasn’t! PHEW! Although, we technically haven’t had the cash to replace the compressor, so it is sorta useless at the moment!
Now for the risers! Justin measured each riser… all of which were totally different by the way! Then he had to cut each riser to fit perfectly on their respective stairs. We painted them before installing. In the image below he was dry fitting them.
I will hopefully be back in the next week with the newel posts. I asked Justin to build us a 3-d model so you can have instructions on how he built it, which may or may not be the proper way, but it worked perfectly in this situation!
In case you want to follow along, check out these posts too:
post 1: Starting the project!
post 2 : Demo & Rebuilding
post 3: More Rebuilding
post 4 : Filling the gaps
post 5 : Walnut Stain… at last!
post 6 : Adding the Stair Risers, Finishing the Runners
Post 7 : Custom Built Newel Posts