These brisket tacos are a yummy copycat of the delicious Cafe Rio shredded beef tacos, and who doesn't love those?! Prep these in the slow cooker and stay in tonight!
- 2 lbs eye of round beef
- 1 tablespoon bacon grease
- 1 large yellow onion, cut into quarters
- 8 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup Herdez Salsa Verde
- 1 Tbsp dried cilantro
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded Monterrey Jack cheese (4 ounces)
- flour tortillas
- To your crock pot, add chicken broth, salsa verde, cumin, and dried cilantro (you could use fresh if you have it). Stir to combine, and turn on to high.
- Cut beef into 1 1/2 inch slices.
- Sprinkle the beef with salt and black pepper.
- In a large cast iron pan, heat up the grease on medium, and brown the brisket on both sides, about 5 minutes per side.
- Remove the brisket and add it to the crock pot.
- In your pan, add the onions. Cook until they begin to brown, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic cloves and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add red wine vinegar.
- Pour the cooked onions and drippings into the crock pot, scraping along the bottom to get all the drippings, and stir.
- Cover with lid and cook until fall apart tender. 6-8 hours.
- To make the tacos, place on one side of each tortilla some Monterrey Jack ,and slide the tortillas under the broiler for 30 seconds or until the cheese is melted.
- Fill the tortillas with shredded brisket and top with some of the juice from the crock pot or more salsa verde and any other toppings of your choice.
Featured image courtesy of Homesick Texan.