Here at Remodelaholic we love all things home decor and DIY, but we also love RECIPES. While we will continue to share our latest and greatest remodeling projects we want to start sharing some really yummy recipes once a week. Enjoy the recipes and know that we are still Remodelaholics.
You only need a handful of ingredients to make this delicious chili rellenos casserole. It’s perfect to serve for brunch, lunch, or dinner. No matter the occasion your family or guests are sure to ask for seconds (and maybe even thirds). Sounds good, right?
The key to this casserole dish is the layers. Start with the foundation layer of green chiles. Next add the layer of cheese and then pour the milk-egg mixture over the top. Cook the casserole for 40 minutes. Finally, add the layer of medium salsa and cook for another 15 minutes.
If you’re lucky enough to have any casserole leftover, it makes for a great second meal the next day. Save some chopped cilantro and green onion to garnish the top and add some extra flavor. For those who prefer less spicy dishes, be sure to use mild green chiles and mild salsa. Turn up the heat with hot salsa and hot green chiles.
We never say no to a good casserole. You can’t beat the versatile and scrumptious flavor of this recipe. Ready to try our chili rellenos casserole? Check out the the ingredients and instructions below. Let us know how you like the recipe in the comments section!
Chili Rellenos Casserole
- 3 1/2 cups green chiles
- 4 cups shredded Colby Jack or Gouda cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup flour
- 6 eggs
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 cups medium salsa
- Spray a 13x9 pan with cooking spray.
- Add green chiles to the pan.
- Spread the cheese evenly over the green chiles.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk and flour.
- Add eggs, evaporated milk, salt and pepper.
- Stir ingredients together until well-combined and pour mixture over cheese layer.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and spread the salsa evenly over the top.
- Return pan to oven and cook an additional 15 minutes.
- Check the center of the casserole to make sure ingredients are set. Sides will be puffed with the center slightly lower. If center is not set, cook for additional 6-8 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and green onions if desired.