Homemade Sweet Potato Tater Tots
These homemade sweet potato tater tots are the perfect side dish or appetizer for the season! They are baked, crusted with parmesan and incredibly delicious. Best of all? They are super easy to make and a total crowd favorite! Make a big batch, they will fly off the plate in minutes.
Tater tots are one of those things we all know and love, however the frozen bag version, well let’s just say that frozen tater tots will definitely benefit from a makeover.
And since sweet potato fries are all the rage right now (and with reason, they are delicious!) I decided to try my hand making homemade sweet potato tater tots from scratch.
The result? MIND BLOWING! You can consider them the fancy cousin of the potato tater tot you already know and love.
- First, they are baked so they are a bit healthier (and bonus points, no need to mess with deep frying!).
- Second, they are coated in parmesan cheese and we all know that anything coated in parmesan cheese is better.
- And finally, they are packed with a lot of spices and the perfect amount of mozzarella cheese so they are really flavorful and cheesy.
How to make tater tots in the oven?
The traditional way of making tater tots is deep frying them, however these sweet potato tater tots are baked and it’s incredibly easy to do at home!
Just scoop a bit of dough, shape a tater tot and place in a greased baking pan. Take to the oven and bake for 18 minutes. Flip and bake for 10 more minutes and you are all set.
We need to flip the tater tots mid baking so all sides get evenly golden brown and crispy.
Can you freeze homemade tater tots?
YES! I have to say that I love anything that can be frozen and sweet potato tater tots can!
What I do is scoop and shape them and place in a baking tray. Then I just place in the freezer for around 20 minutes or until set and firm.
Once they are firm, just place them in a freezer friendly bag and voila! You’ll have some homemade frozen tater tots.
Trust me when I say you’ll want to make a big batch of these because they are:
- Crispy on the outside
- Soft on the inside
- Just a bit spicy
- Just a tad sweet
- Packed with cheese
- Like a sweet potato fry got into tot shape
- Did I already said packed with cheese?
You can serve them as a side dish for a holiday dinner, with some eggs for a festive breakfast, on a tray with some dipping sauce for the perfect appetizer or you know, just snack on them by the handful, I won’t judge.
Love sweet potatoes? Make sure to check these recipes too!
- Make a sweet potato casserole! The melted butter and added cashews pack a bunch of flavor.
- Or try a batch of these grilled sweet potato wedges that are incredibly delicious and totally impressive (+ really easy to make!)
Make sure you pin these sweet potato tater tots for later!
Sweet Potato Tatter Tots
- 4 Sweet potatoes scrubbed
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ Cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 Garlic clove grated
- 3 Tbsp flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tsp paprika
- ½ Cup parmesan cheese
- 1 Cup breadcrumbs
- 4 Tbsp butter melted
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prick the sweet potatoes with a fork and coat with olive oil. Take to the oven and bake for 50 minutes or until soft.
- Mash the sweet potatoes. Mix in the grated garlic clove, salt and pepper and paprika. Incorporate the flour and mix in the mozzarella cheese.
- In a bowl, mix breadcrumbs with parmesan cheese.
- Scoop out around 1 Tbsp of the sweet potato mix and roll into a cylinder. Coat with breadcrumbs and place in a greased baking pan. Repeat the process with the rest of the dough.
- Drizzle with melted butter and take to the oven. Bake for 18 minutes. Flip and bake for 10 more minutes.
- Remove from oven.