These easy chocolate chip M&M cookies are deliciously soft and chewy, perfect for a colorful party treat or after-school snack on a special day.
Chocolate Chip M&M Cookies
I’m not alone in my love of cookies — cookies are one of the most searched treat recipes! M&M cookies are one of the most popular cookies in America, too! This recipe makes about 3 dozen cookies, perfect for an easy party treat for a crowd. Kids love these rainbow M&M cookies — but let’s be honest, adults do, too!
So let’s get started and bake some delicious, soft and chewy, chocolate chip M&M cookies. But first, to answer a big question or two:
Can I use regular M&Ms in baking?
Yes! The mini baking M&Ms chocolate candies are formulated specifically for baking, but, in my opinion, they’re not as much fun to sneak while you’re baking. So I use regular plain chocolate candies in these rainbow M&M cookies with great results. Some are stirred into the M&M cookie dough with a few addition pressed on top of the dough balls. For our fellow chocoholics, we also add chocolate chips (milk chocolate, of course) for a colorful chocolate chip cookie!
Love chocolate? Try these chewy chocolate cookies or this flourless version.
Can I substitute shortening for butter in cookies?
Yes, but… it won’t give the cookies the crispy texture and buttery taste that you get from using real butter. And that crispy and chewy texture and flavor of butter are part of what make these rainbow M&M cookies amazing, so, as always, we recommend following the recipe as written.
What makes homemade cookies soft?
There are many techniques and ingredients that make soft homemade cookies easy. For this M&M cookie recipe, though, we use a box of instant pudding! The pudding adds a bit of extra flavor while also making the cookies pillowy soft and perfectly delicious.
For more soft cookie recipes, try our red velvet thumbprint cookies or banana oatmeal chocolate chip cookies.
How to Make Soft M&M Cookies From Scratch
Get the full printable recipe with ingredient list below. Contains affiliate links; learn more and read our full disclosure policy here.
- Combine the first 3 dry ingredients (flour, salt, baking soda).
- In another bowl, cream the butter and sugars with the pudding mix and vanilla extract.
- Beat in eggs.
- Add flour mixture until the cookie dough is smooth.
- Stir in M&M chocolate candies and chocolate chips.
- Form cookie dough balls, flattening the top a bit to add some extra M&M candies.
- Bake and enjoy!
TIP: A cookie dough scoop set makes homemade cookies so much easier! Highly recommend.
Chewy Chocolate Chip M&M Cookie Recipe
Soft Chocolate Chip M & M Cookies
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1 box instant vanilla pudding (3.4 oz)
- ¾ cup brown sugar packed
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1 ½ cups plain chocolate candies (1 - 12 oz package) plus more for adding to the top before baking if desired
- 1 cup chocolate chips semi sweet or milk chocolate
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, salt and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter, dry pudding mix, brown sugar, granulated sugar and vanilla extract until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs
- Gradually add flour mixture until smooth
- Stir in candy and chocolate chips
- Using a cookie dough scoop, divide dough and roll into balls.
- Place on baking sheet and slightly press down the top
- Add more candy on top if desired
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until lightly golden brown
- Remove from oven and cool slightly on the baking sheet
- Transfer to wire rack
- Store in airtight container for up to 5 days
Be sure to pin this and save for later!
Lorene has been behind the scenes here at Remodelaholic for more than a decade! She believes that planning projects and actually completing them are two different hobbies, but that doesn't stop her from planning at least a dozen projects at any given time. She spends her free time creating memories with her husband and 5 kids, traveling as far as she can afford, and partaking of books in any form available.