Indoor or outdoor hanging chairs are a beautiful and comfy spot to relax. Add them in your home for a cozy reading nook. Or add one to your patio for a relaxing outdoor oasis. We’ve found some to buy and a couple to build too.
In the last year or two we’ve seen and loved all of the hanging chairs that have been incorporated in all areas of the home. They add a nice spot of sit and relax, a little bit of a fun flair, and a gorgeous design element to the home.
Our Favorites to Buy
We’ve found a bunch of hanging chairs to buy. Some are for inside, some are for out, some are for both. Some need to be hung from a ceiling beam, others come with a stand. The other good news is that many of these come in a variety of neutral colors and some with bright cushions.
This post contains affiliate links for hanging chairs to buy for your convenience. Learn more and read our full disclosure policy here. If you can’t see these images it may be your ad blocker (you might need to disable it), or you can check out the list below.
- Beige Hanging Swing Chair – Amazon
- Shania Swinging Chair with Stand, 3 Colors – Wayfair
- Hammock Pod Chair, multiple colors – Wayfair
- Light Blue Hanging Chair – Wayfair
- Outdoor Wicker Swing with Stand – Wayfair
- Cleveland Swing Chair – Wayfair
- Tree Hammock Swing – Wayfair
- Outdoor Bean Swing Chair – Bed, Bath, and Beyond
- Audra Swing Chair with Stand – Wayfair
- Rattan Hanging Chair in White and Natural – Wayfair
- Brown Wicker Swing Chair – Wayfair
- Berkshier Swing Chair with stand, 3 colors – Wayfair
- Black Swing Chair with Stand – Wayfair
- Patio Stand alone Swing Chair – Bed, Bath, and Beyond
- Hanging Hammock Chair with Tassels – Amazon
- Natural Colored Swing Chair – Target
- Hanging Rattan Chair with Stand – Walmart
- Wicker Ribbed Hanging Chair – Walmart
- Smaller Wicker Hanging Chair – Walmart
- Hammock Chair – Etsy
- Ball Hanging Chair – Etsy
- Macrame Hanging Chair – Etsy
- Double Rattan Hanging Chair – Etsy
- Round Macrame Style Chair – Walmart
- Double Swing Chair with Stand – Walmart
- Carova Double Swing with Stand – Wayfair
Click the arrows on either side of the image below to see more indoor and outdoor hanging chairs.
If you want to work with what you have or build your own swinging/hanging chair, here are a couple of ideas to get you started.
- Turn and old chair into a swing – Peppertowne for Remodelaholic
- Go big with this Pergola with swings to build or add one of the ones to buy above – Little White House Blog for Remodelaholic
- Make an indoor swing – The Rosy Home for Remodelaholic
How to Install
Installing or hanging a hanging or swinging chair can see a bit scary. Read the tips on installing an indoor swing here. If you don’t want to mess with hanging a chair from the ceiling opt for a hanging chair with a stand for a similar aesthetic without the hanging work.
Things to consider:
- Space around the swing for clearance when sitting or rocking in hanging chair. Make sure there is enough room to get in and out. A couple of feet or so should be enough, but be sure to measure it out in your space. Add the clearance and the actual size of the swing.
- Attach to a ceiling joist or stud. In order for a hanging chair to be secure, make sure to find a solid stud or joist to hang it from, and ensure that when you find that stud, that there is enough clearance room in the space you are wanting to hang the chair. If there isn’t a stud where you want to add the chair one might need to be added or a different location will need to be chosen.
- Follow included instructions. Depending on the type of chair you purchase it may or may not come with the hardware needed to hang the chair.
- Read more about how to install a hanging chair check out these tips from House Beautiful, Larson Home Services Blog, and Domino.
How to Style and Decor Inspiration
There are so many possibilities with these fun rattan and papasan hanging chairs. Where to hang these chairs? Anywhere you can find a stud. They look great in living rooms, bedrooms, playrooms, offices, and of course outside.
This cute double hanging chair, looks great and is a part of the living room. The contrast between the swing and the gray wall behind, is so pretty. Plus, add some pillows to the chair for an even comfier spot.
What little kid doesn’t want a swing in their room? Make their dreams come true with a pretty round hanging chair. This one looks extra cozy with more pillows and a blanket.
A reading nook or play area, is a great compliment to a hanging chair. This window seat also adds lots of seating for more to enjoy the reading nook area.
Add a spot in your office to relax with this rattan style chair. It looks great next to a set of styled shelves.
Utilize a lonely corner in a child’s room by adding a swinging chair. In this little girl’s bunny themed room I love the touch of the side table. Adds to the corner.
Or add one in a nursery. It will be fun as a child grows. They will enjoy it at many stages.
And then it is always fun to add one to your patio for summer nights and relaxing. They can be hung from a stand or from a tree for a fun decorative touch to your landscaping.
Where would you love to have a hanging chair in your home?
Be sure to pin this post for later!