Watermelon is a summer staple! If you grow your own, pick some up from the local produce stand or farmer’s market, or just can’t resist a weekly purchase, then these watermelon ideas will pique your interest! When you want the mouth-watering flavor of watermelon, but need a little change from eating it right off the rind, there are no shortage of watermelon recipes out there. Some are quite savory, some are sweet treats and some are frozen treats perfect for summertime! Here are 30 delicious ways to eat a watermelon.
1. Avocado, Watermelon, Cucumber Salad – You may not think to add this fruit to a vegetable-based salad, but the flavors mix for a delicious side or main dish.
2. Summer Watermelon Salad – Dijon mustard and vinegar add some tang to this sweet fruity salad.
3. Watermelon Strawberry Basil Quinoa Salad – Here’s a fruit-filled salad with a twist! Adding quinoa makes it more filling and hardy while the basil gives it a little kick.
4. Watermelon, Avocado and Mint Salad – Add some mint to your summer salad of watermelon and avocado and you’ll get a zesty zip that’s refreshing and light!
5. Balsamic Watermelon Feta Salad – Feta and balsamic may seem like they belong on a mediterranean salad, but when mixed with this summer fruit they make a flavorful combination.
6. Grilled Watermelon Salad – Use your watermelon rind as the bowl, toss your melon with some arugula and feta, add some balsamic for tang and some walnuts for crunch and you’ve got an amazing new salad to try.
7. Watermelon Cucumber Salad – Cucs and watermelon together create a delicious and hydrating salad that’s great for your body!
8. Mojito Watermelon Side Dish – Torn mint and lime zest spice up otherwise normal watermelon. It’s an easy way to make watermelon more jazzy for a cookout.
9. Watermelon Salsa – Love fresh salsa in the summertime? Try this fruit-ified version that combines sweet and spicy with tortilla or pita chips! Or you can make your own cinnamon tortilla chips for a sweet, more dessert-like side.
10. Watermelon Feta Skewers – Here’s an easy way to combine the sweetness of a juicy melon with the robust flavor of feta.
11. Watermelon Steak – Looks like a seafood main dish, doesn’t? It’s a vegan alternative – grilled watermelon steaks!
12. Watermelon Bruschetta – You can’t go wrong when adding watermelon instead of tomatoes to mozzarella and basil! This will give you a sweet alternative to your normal bruschetta.
13. Watermelon Gazpacho – A cold soup in the summertime can be just the refreshment you need. It’s easy to turn watermelon into a delicious soup side dish.
13. Grilled Watermelon Pineapple Skewers – Watermelon on a skewer certainly isn’t a new idea, but I couldn’t resist adding these watermelon and pineapple skewers which are grilled to perfection to enhance the juice and flavors.
14. Watermelon Grill Fruit Centerpiece – While it isn’t necessarily a recipe, this cute centerpiece will steal the show at your next barbecue!
15. Pickled Watermelon Rinds – I know it sounds rather sketchy, but this is a southern tradition that’s been around for ages. And since you usually just throw them away, why not try turning them into a fun, tangy treat?
16. Watermelon Jam – Here’s a delicious way to enjoy your watermelon for breakfast!
17. Watermelon Jelly – And yet another alternative for breakfast; or for your kids’ favorite PB sandwiches!
18. Watermelon Jerky – Jerky tends to lean in the meat direction, but if you’ve got a dehydrator, you might want to try this melon version.
19. Watermelon Fruit Leather – Another dehydrated alternative, this leather is more like a tasty, gummy snack than dried fruit.
20. Sour Watermelon Gummies – Speaking of a gummy snack, you can whip up some sour watermelon gummy candies with your left over melon, instead of letting it go bad!
21. Watermelon Flavored Hard Candy – Here’s another version of watermelon candy, for those of you who don’t like the gummy texture.
22. Watermelon Sorbet – This cold, refreshing treat is easy to make and will cool you off this summer!
23. Watermelon Granita – Or try this frozen watermelon dessert that’s almost like gelato.
24. Watermelon Yogurt Pops – Mixing watermelon with yogurt can give you some delicious popsicles the kids will love. And they’re healthy to boot!
25. Watermelon Kiwi Popsicles – Summertime fruit rolled into a frozen treat on a stick. It’s perfect for a hot day!
26. Watermelon Bars – These watermelon bars look light and airy, yet delectable.
27. Watermelon Jello Cake – With watermelon puree and jello you can create a cake that looks AND tastes just like a watermelon!
28. Watermelon Cupcakes – An alternative to the super sugary cupcakes normally served at birthday parties, these cupcakes are just as cute!
29. Watermelon “Cake” – So, technically it’s not a cake. It’s a watermelon cut into a circle cake shape, then frosted with coconut whipped cream and garnished with toasted almonds and topped with fruit. So it looks like a cake. And will taste like heaven.
30. Watermelon Pizza – Again, not really a pizza. But it is a decidedly healthier version of a fruit pizza.
Kimberly Mueller is the “me” over at bugaboo, mini, mr & me, a blog that highlights her creative endeavors. She especially likes to share kid crafts, sewing attempts, recipes, upcycled projects, photography and free printable gift tags/cards. When she’s not enjoying being married to her best friend, chasing after the natives (AKA her three kids) and attempting to keep the house in one piece, you can find her with a glue gun in one hand and spray paint in the other. Aside from DIY pursuits, she also enjoys writing, reading, music, singing (mostly in the shower) and the color yellow. Kimberly recently published a craft book entitled Modern Mod Podge. You can also find her on Facebook, Pinterest,Bloglovin’ and Instagram. Email her at: bugabooblog(at)yahoo.com
More great ideas: